Tag Archives: worms

Goat bloat and worms

On Monday 7 May Tag looked slow.

On Tuesday 8 Mayshe had small poo pellets and still slow. I thought it was worms and gave her 15 ml of Panacur 100.

I also sent a poo sample for testing.

By lunchtime her poo was light, smaller pellets whit white bits in it. It was undigested grass

This was diagnosed by Goats Australia FB. As sign of an upset tummy.

She had no milk (as in she was to I’ll to fend Monty off)

It was suggested We drenched her with 1tbs Epson salta and 1 Tbs bicarb in warm water. We did.

In the morning (Wed 9 May) she was still slow and in pain (teeth grinding).

Tummy was firm. I massaged her and she burped up lupins ( tipped bucket was found in Sunday),

She immediately started eating again as being much happier.

Gave her 1 berocca as drench and free choice goat block and bicarb.

After bloat acidosis can be an issue. Bicarb and roughage (hay) can help. Poo improved. But today bad again but she has milk and eating more. Tummy flora can take over a week to recover said Braidwood Vet.

Tonight’s bad poo from happily goat


Worms worms worms

I am getting a bit desperate about the goat worms. After re-treating in May the count was lower but still high

We were away while this result came in so we couldn't do anything.
When we returned, the eye lids looked better than ever so we didn't do anything.

Yesterday I noticed Tag and possibly Monty were having some clamped poos. Tag has also been gorging on the salt lick.

I am almost too scared to test again but will need to do something about it soon.

Catch up

So much has happened…

In late January Miley passed away in the night with a horrible screech. Suspected heart attack.

In March we had to put down Snowy bunny as her eye tumour was spreading to her mouth.

Neither Lillypilly goat nor Reba llama got pregnant so we had no babies this year.

After worming the goats in Jan with Notonectin, the results were great , but over the last few days she had been acting strange which made me suspect she's high again. And sure enough she was (see below) will treat her again tomorrow and check again.


Today we also got 3 ex battery hens arrive  


Worms and fleasĀ 

Gotta love summer. All the bugs are having a great time.

I found our dog Miley to have fleas so I treated her for that. I also gave her worming tablets. She has been losing condition so I hope this will fix her. If not it’ll be vet next week.

We gave the goats a bunch of injections:

Tag got 4 ml Noromectin subq for pigs and cattle . Dose for 100kg. This has a 1 month milk withholding 

Monty got 4ml Nornerctin and what I had left of Cartropgen for his legs. It was only 1.5ml which is 1/2 dose

Pinky got 2.5 ml Noromectin and 1 ml glen act as a booster one month before she’s due to kid IF she is pregnant…

New goat strategy

Sadly the last drenching on our milking goat Tag was not effective and her workload went up to over 2000. 

On the upside there was no more sign of Coccidia and the llamas are clear 


Anyway, we need to sort Tag out.

After many discussions of Facebook, I actually got hold of a specialist goat Vet, https://m.facebook.com/goatvetoz/

She was kind enough to message me several undefined links and talk to me on the phone. 

1. First of all she stressed the importance of dosing for the right weight, so she sent me this chart, which is similar to one I had used in the past.

Tag’s girth is 107cm so her weight is approx 90 Kg. 

2. The vet suggested that Caprimec (the drench I have been using should be given at 1.5 times the dose so that’s 30 ml for her weight. That’s what I had been doing in the past but Tag would always spot a heap out. Today we set off to try again but when the gun malfunctioned we tried soaking her dose in bread. It took a bit of fiddling mixing in some Lovamol and human breakfast cereal but to my surprise she ate it all, plus some.

So today she had 40 ml Caprimec

Will need to do another test in 10 days and if we don’t get 95% reduction in worm count (117 or less) we need to change drench

3. The only other registered option for dairy goats is Panacur25 which needs to be given at 2 times the dose. She suggested trying once and testing 10 days later and if that doesn’t work trying drenching on 2 consecutive days.

These are my notes from the chat with her

4. Vet also said NOT to move them  after drenching so we’ve been doing that wrong 

5. The other point she made is that if Tag isn’t getting enough protein that could make her more prone to worms. It seems she is not. FB chats revealed she should be on 1-1.5 Kg of grain /pellet a day split in two feeds. 

Vet said she needs 18% protein and cottonseed would deliver that. Crashed lupins are good too so we’ll gradually give her that and alpaca pellets which are 16%.

Lucerne us good as provides calcium

6. After nearly 2 years in milk her body score should be 3-3.5. From this video she is 3 or a little less so up goes the feed.


As an aside I have also started back with the ACV in the water and have ordered a goat specific lick with selenium and copper.

Worm and move

Tag came up positive for worms again and this time also a slight Cocci.

 Apparently we don’t need to do anything about the latter just yet but with all the rain we’ve had we’ll be testing often this year 

Meanwhile Tag got 30 ml Caprimec twice 48 hrs apart then 48 hours later we moved them on clean pasture. This happened yesterday 6/10/16.

Also copying an interesting link here for reference.


More worms

The re/testing of the goats showed that Tag still has a high load. 


We re-drenched her on Sat 25 June but without a proper gun it got a bit messy. We were aiming to give her 30 ml, we think she got the best part of it.

Now we’ll wait and re- test her after 10 days.

UPDATE: 10 days later Tag’s count was 60. We did not retreat. 3 months later she is at 1200.