A couple of days ago we moved Luna and her 4 (used to be 5 😦 ) peachicks out of the big pen. We had put them in there straight after they hatched 3.5 weeks ago to protect them from crows.
Since the pen had been empty for a while (only bunny and Guinea pigs in there) we figured they’d be lots of bugs for them to catch. Plus we are giving them mealworms.
However they are now bigger and we worried they needed a more varied diet, so out they went and we are locking them up at night.
The chooks and ducks go moved back in the big pen and the spare roosters can now have access to the edge pen.
Later that day the goats decided to also move themselves. We were keen to move them anyway but hadn’t yet. They just jumped the fence and took themselves for a field trip. They are now in their top paddock but only in the small area around their shed. We’ll open up the paddock soon.
Today I also swapped the llamas. The girls went to the street paddock with the view of giving them the hill paddock soon, and the boys went to the chook paddock.
I should mention that the boys are only Enrique and Orlando as Valentibe was always so stressed we decided to sell him. We found him a lovely per home nearby where he is on his own. He went on trial but seems very happy there.
Moved goats to near the creek and too if hill today for a few days for weed eating
We moved all the ducks and chooks in the pen extension today in the hope of re-vegetating their pen a bit. The incredible amount of rain we’ve had recently means that the big pen is now mostly mud so we are giving it a rest. Hopefully the new area is fox proof enough.
Sadly the new area is open above And the crows have already started stealing the eggs!
I also transplanted my tomato and cucumber seedlings into bigger pots and put them in the greenhouse.
The goats are wormy again.
So like last time we drenched them twice 48 hrs apart and we have prepared the old paddock to move them back into 48 hrs after drenching the second time. Tag and Monty got the best part of 25 ml each, Pilly got 13ml which may have been a little low for her weight.
We will re-test them 10 days after the second drench to see if it has worked.
In other goat news, last week Tag has decided to wean Monty so we are back at milking every day. She is giving about 1.5L each time.
Last night I also moved our spare 5 Roos to the old chook pen with a view to let them free range once they’ve gotten used to their new home. I have left Rosie in charge of the big pen and I have left AAron in with him as they seem to sort of get along… We’ll see. Now that there’s fewer rooster I have also moved Alisha and Cybrhia back in the big pen after they spent over a month in the old peacock pen. I had moved them as they both had a bare back due to breeding season and molting and Cyinthia even had a deep cut from the rooster. They are all better now with most feathers re-grown.