A couple of days ago we moved Luna and her 4 (used to be 5 😦 ) peachicks out of the big pen. We had put them in there straight after they hatched 3.5 weeks ago to protect them from crows.
Since the pen had been empty for a while (only bunny and Guinea pigs in there) we figured they’d be lots of bugs for them to catch. Plus we are giving them mealworms.
However they are now bigger and we worried they needed a more varied diet, so out they went and we are locking them up at night.
The chooks and ducks go moved back in the big pen and the spare roosters can now have access to the edge pen.
Later that day the goats decided to also move themselves. We were keen to move them anyway but hadn’t yet. They just jumped the fence and took themselves for a field trip. They are now in their top paddock but only in the small area around their shed. We’ll open up the paddock soon.
Today I also swapped the llamas. The girls went to the street paddock with the view of giving them the hill paddock soon, and the boys went to the chook paddock.
I should mention that the boys are only Enrique and Orlando as Valentibe was always so stressed we decided to sell him. We found him a lovely per home nearby where he is on his own. He went on trial but seems very happy there.
The Braidwood vet came out today to do a whole bunch of things. They were great.
This is what we did:
Snowy bunny got her calici virus vaccine
The goats got their vaccine (1ml glenvac), CAE and JD blood test (results in a while) and Monty got Cartrophen
Milton and Ravel got castrated with twilight sedation and local anaesthetic
Milton Ravel and Ariel got microcipped.
All went smoothly a part from Milton who had a couple of glitches. He had trouble clotting so he bled a bit but that eventually worked. What was more of a shock and a scare was that he had a bit of a seizure after he had the microchip put in. Usually we put the into hip into the neck, but other breeders said it should go behind the left ear. So we tried that this time and it was not fun! The vet was quick with cortisone but the seizure settled when Damian blew in his face. Go figure. His sedation also seemed to have hit him a bit harder than Ravel. He walked around not very long after but then had another long sitting down section, away from the herd, I sat with him until he got up and ran to the herd.
After castration they also got long lasting penicillin. Vet suggested vaccinating them soon as the vaccine contains anti tetanus. Will do soon.
So proud of all my animals, they all behaved so well!!
They mated twice then we split them again. Clear signs on Reba that the mating worked. Hopefully there’s a baby on the way.
So impressed with all of them, they behaved so beautifully, Ravel eventually jumped the fence but I caught him right away and he called down. Valentine over in the other paddock was not too upset. Such good llamas 🙂
Some days, living on a farm is no fun at all. 2 days ago, we found our beautiful llama Renata dead. We suspect snake bite as she had blood out of her eyes and was on her back with the legs up in the air. Horrible!! Hopefully it was quick. Her son Ravel was grieving next to her body for over a day. So distressing to see. More info about our beautiful girl here https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=802245816548789&id=345409105565798
As she was one of our most promising breeders this may well be the end of our breeding adventure… Her mum Reba will probably have another one for us and her little sister Ariel might too but for now we just take s break. RIP dear girl 😦
On the chook front, our Silky cross Harriet is raising 4 chicks we bought as day olds. They are 2 Barnevelders and 2 Speckeled Suxess. Unlike most, these chicks weren’t doing well in the big pen with everyone else, in particularl one of the Barnevelders was very thin. I moved them to the old goat pen a couple of weeks ago and they seem to be thriving there. They are gaining weight again and all seems well. However, we thing the Banevelder who was struggling most of all in the big pen may have a neurological or vision problem as it seems to have trouble pecking at food precisely. Last night I picked her up and she has gained weight and get crop was full, so that’s great but she is still a little thin. I fed her mealworms away from the others and she ate them but definitely needs to be fed on her own as she takes a while to get the worms. Seems to have better success if the worms are in her right so she may be blind on the left. If we can put some weight on her I think she’ll be fine but she may have other issues … We’ll see. We might call her Blink.