After more research I worked out that Caprimec and noromectin are both mectins so I decided to use Panacur instead. Last time 2x the dose gave 50% reduction so now we did 3x dose. Pilly got 12 ml or Pan100. Monty 15. Both took it easily. Tag's dose was 15. I loaded to 18 then 10. She took most of it.
The idea this time is to treat 3 times, 10 days apart, with tests at every point.
Then move to clean paddock 10 days after last dose.
Before the first treatment, I collected a sample to give me a base line. Note NO treatment had been given since receiving high results while we were away.
At the end of June, Monty was 720 and Tag 1860. I had not tested Pilly as she was 0 in early June.
The results for this pre-treatment samples came late.
Meanwhile on 28August I repeated the doses for Pilly and Monty and in 29th for Tag (she took it well this time.
Then I got the first results back and realised I should have only treated Tag.
This is what was found, which was very interesting given no treatment had been given since previous high results. How did Monty fix himself?
So after the first treatment, Monty doubled (I think we just assume he was about the same) and Tag was nearly 1/2. We'll continue monitoring them all but treating just Tag.
And after one more treatment for Tag, we are finally down to an acceptable level. We'll see for how long… no paddock move.
I am getting a bit desperate about the goat worms. After re-treating in May the count was lower but still high
We were away while this result came in so we couldn't do anything.
When we returned, the eye lids looked better than ever so we didn't do anything.
Yesterday I noticed Tag and possibly Monty were having some clamped poos. Tag has also been gorging on the salt lick.
I am almost too scared to test again but will need to do something about it soon.
All goats got Noromectin for worms (4ml for Tag and Monty, 2.5ml for Pilly) and 1 ml Glenvac from a new pack (pictured here as it comes out of the pack before use).
So much has happened…
In late January Miley passed away in the night with a horrible screech. Suspected heart attack.
In March we had to put down Snowy bunny as her eye tumour was spreading to her mouth.
Neither Lillypilly goat nor Reba llama got pregnant so we had no babies this year.
After worming the goats in Jan with Notonectin, the results were great , but over the last few days she had been acting strange which made me suspect she's high again. And sure enough she was (see below) will treat her again tomorrow and check again.
Today we also got 3 ex battery hens arrive
Gotta love summer. All the bugs are having a great time.
I found our dog Miley to have fleas so I treated her for that. I also gave her worming tablets. She has been losing condition so I hope this will fix her. If not it’ll be vet next week.
We gave the goats a bunch of injections:
Tag got 4 ml Noromectin subq for pigs and cattle . Dose for 100kg. This has a 1 month milk withholding
Monty got 4ml Nornerctin and what I had left of Cartropgen for his legs. It was only 1.5ml which is 1/2 dose
Pinky got 2.5 ml Noromectin and 1 ml glen act as a booster one month before she’s due to kid IF she is pregnant…
I have found this great no knead sourdough recipe… well I tend to eyeball the water as my starter is pretty liquid and if I add all the water I get a soup rather than a dough. Anyway, I still keep the dough very moist, at the point where it nearly holds together but not quite. I mix it in a bowl the pour it into this cake tin we have that works really well. I butter up the tin, then cover and let the dough rise for several hours. Overnight or until it fills the tin. Then bake straight in there at 250C with water in the oven. I have tried adding 1/3 whole meal flour and it still works well.
On a less exciting note, our bunny Snowy has had an eye issue since before Christmas and today Smoothy the guinea pig also as a very poorly eye.
I took Snowy to the local vet a few days after she started bleeding from the eyelid. I thought it was a scratch but it wasn’t settling. Vet reckoned it is cancer of the eyelid and they could not operate. Given she is 9 I’d question the op too but since then it has grown, it is bleeding, it got infected, we fixed the infection and now we wait for another vet.
We had poor Snowy inside for a few days then outside confined but now she is free again as it is very hot and it’s best if she can move about to find the coolest spots. The cattle pink eye powder seems to have help better than the human eye ointment. The specialist vet returns from holidays on 1 Feb so we’ll take her there then. Hopefully she doesn’t get too sick in the meantime.
This morning Smoothy was having a discussion about food with Robyn Hood. Later I noticed him sulking in a corner with an opaque eye oozing white. I gave him pink eye powder and fed him. Teeth are long but seem functional, he is a good weight and eats happily. We’ll see.