All goats got Noromectin for worms (4ml for Tag and Monty, 2.5ml for Pilly) and 1 ml Glenvac from a new pack (pictured here as it comes out of the pack before use).
So much has happened…
In late January Miley passed away in the night with a horrible screech. Suspected heart attack.
In March we had to put down Snowy bunny as her eye tumour was spreading to her mouth.
Neither Lillypilly goat nor Reba llama got pregnant so we had no babies this year.
After worming the goats in Jan with Notonectin, the results were great , but over the last few days she had been acting strange which made me suspect she’s high again. And sure enough she was (see below) will treat her again tomorrow and check again.
Today we also got 3 ex battery hens arrive
Gotta love summer. All the bugs are having a great time.
I found our dog Miley to have fleas so I treated her for that. I also gave her worming tablets. She has been losing condition so I hope this will fix her. If not it’ll be vet next week.
We gave the goats a bunch of injections:
Tag got 4 ml Noromectin subq for pigs and cattle . Dose for 100kg. This has a 1 month milk withholding
Monty got 4ml Nornerctin and what I had left of Cartropgen for his legs. It was only 1.5ml which is 1/2 dose
Pinky got 2.5 ml Noromectin and 1 ml glen act as a booster one month before she’s due to kid IF she is pregnant…
I have found this great no knead sourdough recipe… well I tend to eyeball the water as my starter is pretty liquid and if I add all the water I get a soup rather than a dough. Anyway, I still keep the dough very moist, at the point where it neatly holds together but not quite. I mix it in a bowl the pour it into this cake tin we have that works really well. I butter up the tin, then cover and let the dough rise for several hours. Overnight or until it fills the tin. Then bake straight in there at 250C with water in the oven. I have tried adding 1/3 whole meal flour and it still works well.
I took Snowy to the local vet a few days after she started bleeding from the eyelid. I thought it was a scratch but it wasn’t settling. Vet reckoned it is cancer of the eyelid and they could not operate. Given she is 9 I’d question the op too but since then it has grown, it is bleeding, it got infected, we fixed the infection and now we wait for another vet.
We had poor Snowy inside for a few days then outside confined but now she is free again as it is very hot and it’s best if she can move about to find the coolest spots. The cattle pink eye powder seems to have help better than the human eye ointment. The specialist vet returns from holidays on 1 Feb so we’ll take her there then. Hopefully she doesn’t get too sick in the meantime.
This morning Smoothy was having a discussion about food with Robyn Hood. Later I noticed him sulking in a corner with an opaque eye oozing white. I gave him pink eye powder and fed him. Teeth are long but seem functional, he is a good weight and eats happily. We’ll see.
The last two days have seen us getting up close to animals other than our usual farm ones.
Yesterday a Damian found a giant brown snake in the process of eating a lizard. After many calls we finally got a handler to come and take it away, though it was less the cooperative about going in the bag. This was our third close encounter with a large brown near the house in a few weeks so we are hoping it was the same snake and now we can enjoy a break.
This morning our day started with our first ever attempt at harvesting honey from our Warre hive. Elody and I did very well, the bees did too and it all went very smoothly. Sadly there was either brood or uncapped honey in every comb we checked, so we couldn’t harvest anything. I need to research a bit more how to manage the Warre.
Tonight we shot a kangaroo… our own way….This old mama roo has taken up residence around our house. For years she has spent most of her time near us raising her babies. This year she also has a gorgeous joey who is too big for the pouch but still gets his head in to nurse. Over the last few months she has become very slow and calm and is always right next to the house. Recently, she has become very skinny and we have been concerned about her health. We contacted Wildcare who sent out some experts to assess her. They thought she is just old and in OK condition considering, but they suggested treating her with a spot on wormer just in case. So here is Damian getting as close as possible and shooting the medicine on her… let’s hope it helps!
A couple of days ago we moved Luna and her 4 (used to be 5 😦 ) peachicks out of the big pen. We had put them in there straight after they hatched 3.5 weeks ago to protect them from crows.
Since the pen had been empty for a while (only bunny and Guinea pigs in there) we figured they’d be lots of bugs for them to catch. Plus we are giving them mealworms.
However they are now bigger and we worried they needed a more varied diet, so out they went and we are locking them up at night.
The chooks and ducks go moved back in the big pen and the spare roosters can now have access to the edge pen.
Later that day the goats decided to also move themselves. We were keen to move them anyway but hadn’t yet. They just jumped the fence and took themselves for a field trip. They are now in their top paddock but only in the small area around their shed. We’ll open up the paddock soon.
Today I also swapped the llamas. The girls went to the street paddock with the view of giving them the hill paddock soon, and the boys went to the chook paddock.
I should mention that the boys are only Enrique and Orlando as Valentibe was always so stressed we decided to sell him. We found him a lovely per home nearby where he is on his own. He went on trial but seems very happy there.