All posts by farmerforfun

Milk carton soap

Made soap using a milk carton for mould.

The mould formula worked great. To get the design I poured both colours together at opposite corners of the mould then swirls a tiny bit. I like the design but the soap has bubbles and is taking forever to cure… I think the bubbles might be from me moving the oils a lot to cool them but not sure why the long cure. The recipe is usually very good. Many the vertical mould that leave little air flow?

Advertisements

Soap be back

Started making soap and other skin care again.
Now trying to use essential oils in my soaps as well and not limiting the range to milk only.

Plus recently made a basket for a fundraiser including lots of different skin care items.

1. The first soap I made turned out ugly so will need to do something with it. It was supposed to be a coat hanger swirl but I made it too thick and didn’t swirl enough.

This was a milk recipe with no scent.

2. The next one turned out great but I thought it wouldn’t. For the base I used Kaolin clay hoping to make it white but it made it darker. I added a mica line between layers. Made the base very thick but then decided to try the coat hunger swirl again. It brought splodges of Base up but it looks cool, especially the spider mica patterns.

I think I left in in a spot that was too hot and it volcanoes out and the top cracked, but somehow it turned out great anyway.

Scented with orange and ylangylang, milk recipe. Orange peel on top



3. Next, I tried a salt bar. It was easy to make. It all went to plan and it looks great. We’ll see what it is like to use

4. Yesterday I made a batch using oils tinted with sweet paprika but the colour didn’t take off so I added a bit of red clay satin mica too to the base. I used the same mica for the line and the oil splashed on top.
I used frozen whey as the liquid. It didn’t go as yellow as the milk so it was good to work with.
I used patchouli 40% and grapefruit 60% for the scent. I used 1500 g oils so I calculated the essential oils for 2000g total using eocalc. I used just under the medium amount.
It took ages to trace. Not sure if it was due to these oils or that I was soaping around 24 degrees, very cold.

It was a hassle of calculations to have the tinted oils as I had to calculate 2 separate batches of oils and lye. Much better to make one batter and divide after mixing.

In spite of using 1500g oils there was still heaps of room in the wooden mould. I’ll have to increase the volume more if I want tall soap.

Microgreens start

Been testing a few microgreens lately. So far peas and sunflowers have the best flavour.

Planted a bunch of stuff on 2 May. Today the red arrow radish got harvested. The density was perfect but of course I didn’t weigh the seed I used 😦

Anyway,

  • Red arrow radish- 10 days to maturity- 170g yield.
  • That was 15 g seeds (perfect density ($1.6 incl postage)

Need to have a better way to harvest as this way I had a lot of waste. Good argument for eventually growing in the same containers I’ll be selling in, or selling root and all.

Goat bloat and worms

On Monday 7 May Tag looked slow.

On Tuesday 8 Mayshe had small poo pellets and still slow. I thought it was worms and gave her 15 ml of Panacur 100.

I also sent a poo sample for testing.

By lunchtime her poo was light, smaller pellets whit white bits in it. It was undigested grass

This was diagnosed by Goats Australia FB. As sign of an upset tummy.

She had no milk (as in she was to I’ll to fend Monty off)

It was suggested We drenched her with 1tbs Epson salta and 1 Tbs bicarb in warm water. We did.

In the morning (Wed 9 May) she was still slow and in pain (teeth grinding).

Tummy was firm. I massaged her and she burped up lupins ( tipped bucket was found in Sunday),

She immediately started eating again as being much happier.

Gave her 1 berocca as drench and free choice goat block and bicarb.

After bloat acidosis can be an issue. Bicarb and roughage (hay) can help. Poo improved. But today bad again but she has milk and eating more. Tummy flora can take over a week to recover said Braidwood Vet.

Tonight’s bad poo from happily goat

Summer planting experiment

I got given a few tosto seedling and I just couldn't resist planting them out. They've been in a week and so far so good. I tucked them under other plants to give them some protection.

Also, on 14 Oct, I planted a new bed with summer crops. Direct seed. They have no protection other than a thin layer of mulch.

Today I saw some have started planting.

I put in corn, beans, cucumbers, eggplant and tomatoes.

Here's a rough guide of where everything went.