Goat drench and rooster move

The goats are wormy again.

 

So like last time we drenched them twice 48 hrs apart and we have prepared the old paddock to move them back into 48 hrs after drenching the second time. Tag and Monty got the best part of 25 ml each, Pilly got 13ml which may have been a little low for her weight.

We will re-test them 10 days after the second drench to see if it has worked.

In other goat news, last week Tag has decided to wean Monty so we are back at milking every day. She is giving about 1.5L each time.

Last night I also moved our spare 5 Roos to the old chook pen with a view to let them free range once they’ve gotten used to their new home. I have left Rosie in charge of the big pen and I have left AAron in with him as they seem to sort of get along… We’ll see. Now that there’s fewer rooster I have also moved Alisha and Cybrhia back in the big pen after they spent over a month in the old peacock pen. I had moved them as they both had a bare back due to breeding season and molting and Cyinthia even had a deep cut from the rooster. They are all better now with most feathers re-grown. 

Advertisements

Making chèvre cheese

I haven’t been making much cheese lately so when I set off to make a batch of chevre yesterday I checked this blog for instructions, but realised I didn’t have any.

So here is what I did:

  1. Got some fresh milk from my Tag (goat) 
  2. While still warm from her I poured in some chevre cultures and stirred
  3. Left it sitting overnight at room temperature
  4. This morning I strained it into a cloth
  5. And it is now hanging to drain the last of the whey out.
  6. EASY! 
    straining the cheese
     

This is usually delicious as a cheese on crackers or in salads but this time I’ll try making ravioli with our own silverbeet and eggs for the pasta.

i just drain the cheese off a cupboard handle

Sourdough try again

After my failed attempt at making my own starter a while back, I am now in full production with a new sourdough starter.

First of all, I’d like to point out that my home made starter MAY have actually worked, had I left it a bit longer and processed the bread differently, but never mind, I have now sourced a starter from a friend and I am loving it.

the starter i got

What she gave me had been fed on rye flour and had been in the fridge for a while so it was not active. 

When I got home I divided it into 2 portions, one sits in my fridge as a back up and the other I put in my kitchen cupboard and started feeding it. Sice I didn’t have any rye flour at hand it gets regular wheat flour and it doesn’t  seem to mind. 

Every day I add equal proportions of warm water and flour to an equal proportion of starter (so a ratio of 1:1:1) and stir briskly to add oxygen. I keep it in a dark warmish place covered with a cloth to allow air flow but preventing bugs from falling into it.

It took me 3-4 days of feeding before it was bubbly and ready to use, but now it is always ready. 

 

Bubbly happy sourdough starter
 
In order to respect the 1:1:1 ratio when feeding it, I often have extra starter that I need to remove so that the whole thing won’t overgrow my jar. There are millions of recipes on the web on how to use this but so far I have tried the following, always with great success:

  • Feeding it to the chooks 
  • Giving some to a friend
  • Making pancakes
  • Making pizza
  • Making a cake
  • In general just taking any recipe that calls for flour and substituting 1/3 of the flour for my starter.

It is important to note that if you are not going to rest your dough, you should not rely on the starter to raise your mix, so if a cake recipe calls for baking powder, you should still add that in. The starter will just provide flavour and nutritional value.

On that note, I have found that my stomach tolerates sourdough products without any issues whereas eating too much regular bread of pizza often would leave me bloated. I think this is due to the sourdough being a fermented grain and therefore partially digested.

Of course, the main thing I have been making with the starter is bread. So far I have been following this recipe with very good results:  

I am lazy so I use the bread machine for kneading. 

I have found that having a bowl of water in the oven really helps with the crispness of the crust.

my sourdough loaf

Big vet day 

The Braidwood vet came out today to do a whole bunch of things. They were great.

This is what we did:

  • Snowy bunny got her calici virus vaccine
  • The goats got their vaccine (1ml glenvac), CAE and JD blood test (results in a while) and Monty got Cartrophen
  • Milton and Ravel got castrated with twilight sedation and local anaesthetic 
  • Milton Ravel and Ariel got microcipped. 

All went smoothly a part from Milton who had a couple of glitches. He had trouble clotting so he bled a bit but that eventually worked. What was more of a shock and a scare was that he had a bit of a seizure after he had the microchip put in. Usually we put the into hip into the neck, but other breeders said it should go behind the left ear. So we tried that this time and it was not fun! The vet was quick with cortisone but the seizure settled when Damian blew in his face. Go figure. His sedation also seemed to have hit him a bit harder than Ravel. He walked around not very long after but then had another long sitting down section, away from the herd, I sat with him until he got up and ran to the herd. 

 

poor Milton recovering from it all
 
After castration they also got long lasting penicillin. Vet suggested vaccinating them soon as the vaccine contains anti tetanus. Will do soon.

So proud of all my animals, they all behaved so well!!