In my quest to make soap with as many ingredients from our farm and neighbouring ones, I tried a recipe which uses olive oil and beeswax from the neighbours, milk and eggs from us and only requires coconut and castor oil as extras.
I’d love to drop the castor oil but apparently beeswax inhibits bubbles so castor oil should compensate for that… We’ll see. I should also note that the olive oil in this particular batch is from the supermarket as I still had some left, so using the actual one from the neighbour in the future may change results.
Given that I am so impatient I ended up throwing one more new thing at this recipe, the use of eggs. The plan was to split the batch into 2 and add eggs to one so that it’s make the soap 2 layers. Well, that sort of worked… Read on 🙂
The recipe I made up makes 2 kg of soap and it is :
- Beeswax 100g
- Castor oil 200g
- Coconut oil 900g
- Olive oil 800g
- Goat’s milk 760g
- Lye 290.39g
- 2 duck eggs
- 1 TBS honey
I thought I stopped mixing it at a very light trace but once I tried to pour it out it suddenly went semi-solid. So my design with the egg-soap was not much of anything. The batch with the egg actually stayed a lot more liquid but the other batch just set super fast. I think it must have been the beeswax.
So this recipe filled both my small loaf molds plus the cupcake mold. This turned out a bit of a mess as I was working with semi-solid soap.
Ended up re batching this as it developed a bad gel ring ‘ads 15 bats in the mold plus about 10 cupcakes so to talk packaged price is $1.14/ bar
Rebatched into the ugly duckling- not a very good seller.